I am always surprised by the way adults misuse simple prepositions, adverbs and pronouns - the cyber world has boldly unmasked this reality.
Does this get your nerves or is it just me???? Arggh!
So. . .in honor of Back to School, I'm doing what I can to try and rectify this train wreck. Tips worth noting.
I vs. Me
When do you use "I" and when do you use "me"?
It is a common occurrence to hear the incorrect usage of "I" and "me". This is one of the simplest grammar corrections. The easiest way to decipher the two is to remove the other noun from the sentence and see if it still makes sense.
For example - you would not say, "Your thoughtfulness meant so much to Chad and I." (Because if you remove Chad from the sentence then it sounds ridiculous. Use "Chad and me" instead.)
To, Too, or Two? (amazingly, this usage is botched all TOO often)
To is a preposition which begins a prepositional phrase or an infinitive.
Too is an adverb meaning "excessively" or "also."
Two is a number. Many other words in English which reflect the number two are spelled with tw: twin, twice, between, tweezers, etc.
Examples: We went to a baseball game. (preposition)
We like to watch a good ball game. (infinitive)
We ate too much. (meaning "excessively")
I like baseball, too. (meaning "also")
Six divided by three is two. (number)
They own two rental homes. (number)
. . .There, I feel better. ;)
Here we go....again.....
-
I sat in the yellow lighted room. Again, I waited.
She took her test, and I sat with anxious thoughts.
*What if she fails? *
*What if she is not ready?*
...
6 years ago


4 comments:
Oh, girl...the "I and Me" one drives me insane!!! I think you should also add "He/she and him/her"---I hate when people say, "Her and I went to the store."...really?!? would they ever say, "Her went to the store"???? OK, enough venting from me :)
Thanks for the grammar lesson!
Love you
Greer
Laughing out loud...love this one! :)
I get hung up on the commas..... where is that lesson.
are you pregnant or something? ;)
you know what bothers me??? ... when people say 'anyways' -- there is no "s" on the end of that word.
xo
Post a Comment