Monday, May 18, 2009

So what?

Note: If you listen to Part I of the series this post will make much more sense. ;)

Admittedly, I am a score-keeper.

It's true. . .I've got my little play logbook in hand and I'm hunkered down with my sun visor and lawn chair - I am documenting everything. The good, the bad and the marginal. Tell me I'm not alone, are you keeping score, too?

I came into this relationship sort of wounded already and certainly look to him for a laundry list of things he can never fulfill. . .and while I've known this for years, I am still guilty of wishing he'd at least try, even if the goal would be futile.

Being one of 7 children, I find myself toward the end of the birth order (kid # 5) - - which means that I often went understandably unnoticed. I really try not to "live there" (it was what it was) but whether I like it or not, the old needs come calling. Shoot, not again!

What if I look to my heavenly Father (instead) to meet my needs and make that my focus. . . ah, I see.

What I'm learning is that it's possible for me to look at what I could have done differently, even if I think I was out-wronged or more hurt, etc. I can apologize for my part and be wrong first. There is no glory in grudge-holding and there is no first place prize for being overly sensitive.

I'm working on making a love a VERB, not a noun, not something that I used to do, actively loving. . .Also, we are at all times, only a date-night away from remembering why we like each other in the first place. You can sit across from each other, not cut up anyone else's food and actually flirt, it's amazing!! :)
Gosh, it helps so much to have that time!!

Funny, how we have a boundless amount of grace and patience with our sweet love's early on and then?? Where does that go? What if I treated him like my Dad (or some other VIP) - - TONS of respect, asking if I could get him anything, greeting him with a big hug and a winning smile. If we're not careful we find ourselves drifting apart without ever meaning to at all.

I can't wait to hear Part 3 of the series I mentioned, Staying in Love!

Your prayers and encouraging words mean the world to this girl. Thanks for loving me right where I am, even though it's not especially comfortable - trust me, I can relate.

Happy Monday~!

4 comments:

Jill Hill said...

Very good insight, honesty and wisdom in your words. Marriage is very hard, but worth every ounce of struggle. It's good when we recognize that we may need guidance, that is the first step to complete recovery and healing. I am so proud of you, both of you.

I love that you are both not willing to sweep it under the rug, only to come up again much uglier and much stronger in the future.

You are facing it head-on, with unwavering resolve. Good for YOU!!!

stay strong,

Jill

Heather said...

workin just as hard making it a VERB over here as well.

loving you.
xo
HH

Heather said...

workin just as hard making it a VERB over here as well.

loving you.
xo
HH

Rebekah said...

I can't wait to dive into this series. Love is a verb. Trite but true. I also appreciate your honesty and hard work. Let's continue to encourage each other- no matter the weather.

I love you!!

(P.S. I am going to go rub David's feet or something.)