I picked it up and noticed the local prefix number.
"Hello?" I thought I would hear an adult voice but instead heard a miniature male voice say,
"Hey, may I speak to Audrey?"
To which I responded, "sure. . .who's calling?"
He answered, "This is Nathan..."
And with that, I found myself fielding Audrey's first-ever phone call from a boy (other than her cousin, Jack).
I walked into our living room to hand the phone to my eldest daughter. It was sort of surreal, I must admit. I whispered, "it's Nathan, for you". She took it nonchalantly and said,
"Hello...Oh, Hi Nathan -
He answered, "This is Nathan..."
And with that, I found myself fielding Audrey's first-ever phone call from a boy (other than her cousin, Jack).
I walked into our living room to hand the phone to my eldest daughter. It was sort of surreal, I must admit. I whispered, "it's Nathan, for you". She took it nonchalantly and said,
"Hello...Oh, Hi Nathan -
I knew you would call. . .
how is your nose, did it ever stop bleeding?"
Wow, she makes good conversation for a six year old. . .
She then moved from the living room to a more private location on her parent's bed. I let her have some time and then went in just a minute later to see how it was going. The conversation was already over and she wasn't nearly as affected by the whole thing as I was.
Moving on in her typical style, she wanted to talk more about her brand new yearbook that she got that day...ok, I'll let it roll off my back, too.
So, I couldn't help but think of her Daddy and how he might feel about all of this. I filled him in later that night after the kids were already in bed. He was sort of thrown off, just like me and was quick to say, "we need to change our number".
And, then I thought of Jennifer Flavin Stallone who once said of her husband, Sylvester - that God had a sense of humor and was paying Sly back in giving her "Romeo husband" THREE daughters. . .
I loved her statement and I laughed again thinking that this Romeo (Chad) will find himself in the same predicament~ And the heaven's giggle. . .


8 comments:
oh chad...he's in store for so much! I'm glad Audrey handled the call with the utmost maturity. At her age I would have hid under the bed ;)
totally precious story!!
I just told Lee that Audrey got her first "boy" phone call...this was our conversation:
Lee: What?
Me: Audrey got a phone call from a boy today.
Lee: What?? Has Chad found out where this kid lives yet so we can go and scare him?
DEAR LORD...Audrey and Sloane better watch out! Uncle Leebo doesn't like this situation...haha!
Love it! Can't wait to see Ben's reaction later on this!! He has already warned me that on when Madelyn starts dating that he will be cleaning his gun when the boys come pick them up. He really wants to let them know what is up with Dad!! Have a wonderful day!
love, Melissa H.
Poor, Poor, Poor Chad. He has a long road ahead with those 2 beautiful girls.
Romeo's in trouble!!!
xoxo,
Jill
i LOVE it.
truth be told ... my little handsome boy got a call from a GIRL this year.
i'm not sure i'm still ok about it. i promptly told him (and Annie) -- girls don't call boys.
ha!
welcome to the 2009s!
HH
I LOVE this post! Totally love it.
Smart girl -- enjoying her yearbook more than a boy's call! You taught her well! Ha HA
Post a Comment