Go there with me, will you? :)
Ok, on August 19th Betsy Ramsey (old friend from high school) married Russell Branam. Her wedding reception was a lot of fun because there were a lot of RCHS/Conyers friends there.
In particular, it was great to see Jill (Allgood Hill) that night, she actually predicted the future. (I never dreamed that this chance mtg at a wedding would be the beginning of a loving, devoted friendship- lucky me!). I had always admired her (as a former HHS homecoming queen/Lem's wife) and thought she was beautiful, so I tried not to stutter as she mingled and casually asked who I was dating and how I was doing, etc. I told her I was single and she immediately began conjuring up potential dating possibilities/Lem's friends and most of them, my old classmates from RCHS. She said,
"oh, what about Chad Balicki"?
he's single, do you know him?? - - and I was like, um, yes and
"nahhhh, he's not my type".
Ha!!!
I would eat those words a week later at Darren & Tracey Greene's welcome home party (at Wes Peters' home) after they were stationed in Germany for several years.
I arrived at the party and it wasn't long before Chad and I were lost in a world of laughter, music and attraction that lasted until about 2AM - I didn't want the night to end. I watched him play the guitar with his friends and make jokes and laugh with them and me, I was smitten. I think he knew and I'm pretty sure the feeling was mutual.
He asked for my phone number that night and then called me at work that following Monday. We talked/flirted for a few minutes and he wanted to know what nights I was available to have dinner with him, I said - well, I'm free tonight, Thursday and Saturday and he said,
"how about tonight"?
I had to laugh out loud, what a heart throb, he knew how to push my buttons and make my heart sing. :) I loved how sure of himself he was, a quality that you don't typically see on your first dates and getting to know each other stages. In turn, he made me more secure and confident which drew me in to dating him and sooner than later falling completely in love.

This is the 1st picture of us together, one week into dating - we were helping Beka move. He met my whole family this day and they all gave me unanimous approval. :) (Except that Beka told me that he reminded her of Elvis, because of his dark hair, unique voice and lingo. Sort of made sense but this was a huge turn off for me, tell me he looks like Randy Owen and I'm there - thanks Bek, thankfully this didn't ruin it for me).
To me, he has become so much more handsome through the years. I have to say that fatherhood looks good on him. =) The next few weeks brought many dates and a boatload of giddiness. I remember Beka's husband David use to try and talk to Chad and mid-conversation, Chad would drift back and turn to me and we would giggle or share a thought and David would say, "hey man, I'm talking to you". Oh, sorry - back to reality. We'd just laugh and laugh. . .
This picture was taken 2 months later, at a party at Beka's house. Gosh, I was literally 'over the moon'. This day is inexplicably special to me, I knew that I loved Chad on this day. He sort of saved my neck at this party (a good story that I'll share later) and this candid shot and the look on my face says it all. . .I was in love and fighting it every step of the way. There had to be something wrong with this guy - he's too nice, he likes me too much, Beka said he reminds her of Elvis - but instead of running the other way (like I usually did). I (with a ton of encouragement from Beka and my besties) decided to stick around and "go there" with him, and go there we have - we dated for 3 1/2 short months and he proposed to me on December 14th, my ring, wrapped in multiple boxes was an early Christmas present and a complete surprise. We married one year later, on 12/1, the wedding of my dreams. I'd always wanted a Christmas wedding and we pulled it off perfectly. (thank you, Mom & Dad and Danielle - my best friend/wedding planner)
sidebar: Tracey, I have the neatest memories of sharing our courtship with you. I loved how you would call me the next morning at work after a fun date the night before, to see how it went and how you followed our love story like a good romance novel. You were so thrilled for me and I was grateful that I had a best friend to hear every adorably juicy detail. Those conversations and your excitement for me are treasures in my heart. :) Thank you!
She's just precious!!! And, look at Greer - 2 days after a c-section. How beautiful is she? :)
Afterward, we went to Ted's (our favorite) - had a great dinner and reveled in the love that I am overwhelmingly grateful for,
I love you, Baby!
Thanks for plucking me out of single hood (in spite of my past), being so sure of yourself and putting me at ease, convincing me that it was safe to fall in love, not dilly-dallying around in the least as you bought my ring and talked to my Dad just 3 months later - -
and ultimately giving me these beautiful girls that I love to pieces! Thank you for working like crazy so that I can stay home and be their Mom~ thank you for being such a devoted Father to them. I am blessed beyond measure and so in love with you 8 years later.

In the car tonight, this James Taylor song came on the radio - he's one of Chad's favorites and Chad played the drum beat on my knee and sang this song to me. I love being in love with the drummer in the band. :o) . . . I'm a Band-Aid. What can I say? 

5 comments:
Well isn't that the sweetest love story! You are so right I absolutely loved hearing about your dates... I would wake up in the morning and think.... Mary went out with Chad last night and I would run to the phone and call you to hear all the sweet details. After your first date you told me the route he took taking you home just to spend a little more time with you... how adorable!
Love you,
Tracey
wiping the tears from my face...oh my goodness!! i absolutely adore the both of you and your love story. i remember betsy's wedding like it was yesterday, and YOU were the beautiful one. i remember telling you that you reminded me of jennifer anniston..you forgot to put that in your story, you are so humble.
my favorite pic is the one with chad playing the guitar and you laughing at him. it completely captures the love between the two of you.
the two of you have been such a HUGE part of me and lem's married life. you guys were some of our very first married friends, and we always have a blast hanging out with y'all. so many memories, and many more to make.
happy one year date anniversary!!!! the world just wouldn't turn without "chad & mary" together! ;)
love you both!
Y'all are so sweet!!! I pack, headed out of town for the weekend, just me and Chad (praise the Lord) - feeling very blessed in friendship.
Thank you for adding special memories from this time to my treasure box. I love reflecting on these days in our lives and the joy of falling in love - love that I have the best friends to have shared it with. :)
Love and more love,
M
This is such a wonderful tale of love, faith and hope. You guys have a beautiful family. Blessed beyond measure. Of course, you deserve all of the happiness in the world!
We have been a huge benefactor of "you and Chad". Chad is the older brother David never had. He truly is David's North star. I think I sometimes think I take that for granted. *wipes tears away* I love you so much, obviously you mean EVERYTHING TO ME. But for David to love Chad like a very close brother-friend (no words could even describe) is really such a miracle and gift. They talk as often as we do, I think?
I have always been Chad's biggest fan, defending him and bringing up his good qualities-- they are endless. But, you, my love are lovely and precious. What can I say? I still think he's a very lucky duck.
I love you!
Bek
P.S. Tuesday night phone call to Mary=
Mary: "Hello?"
Bek: "Hey Mary"
Mary: "Hey Bek"
Bek: "How are you?"
Mare: "Good, are you good?"
Bek: "yeah, I forgot why I called."
Mare: "Oh."
Bek: "I think I just always call you when I leave the house. I am headed to Target."
Mare: "Oh, should I do a dance, I totally will."
Yep, that is my sis. Serendipitous-- she is!!
Aw, Bek!! So sweet! Their friendship really is incredible, they are every bit as close as the closest of brothers and what better compliment to our relationship? I love it and I love you!
You're darn right, I'll do a dance for any one of us who gets to escape to Target ALONE. :D What's better than that? Only an escape to the Holly Hut for the wekeend. Ahhh. . .hugs to my girls! xo~!
Post a Comment