I joined Team Boyd, much like I did Team Caroline just a few months earlier - - without a second thought.
Both Caroline and David were "different" and always have been, even since the early days at RCHS. Anyone who has had the privilege of knowing them knows this, they are beyond special, way beyond. I guess cancer picks the most elite of potential prospects.
With the forming of Team Boyd came an outpouring of love and support from friends, family and total strangers. If you heard about this family, you instantly wanted to help and so help we did in any way possible. We were on our knees for them, gave contributions, sent treats to the hospital, donated platelets and attended Team Boyd events.
For the first eight months of the fight I heard a lot about Superman. First, from David and then from all of us on Team Boyd. The giant S became synonymous with David and the journey to remission. He was strong and brave, never wavering in his ability to "kick cancer's a$$" - - even running on the treadmill at the hospital as doctors questioned whether he was actually the patient. We affectionately referred to his bride, Lisa as Lois Lane...and so David "Superman" Boyd became our modern day hero.
In our great efforts to encourage and spur him on, something amazing happened, he spurred us on even more. We began to see our problems and concerns as minuscule and developed an amazing gift called perspective. His positivity was simply infectious. We could not get enough. Every few days, we'd check the blog or David's wall to see how his optimism would encourage us yet again and we encouraged him in return. As we were rallying behind our amazing man of steel, Superman himself sought the God of the universe for help.
Rebekah, Andrew and I sat with him in early November as he told us how he had really come to know Christ, personally. He explained to us,
"I mean, I've been an elder and very involved in my church but never really realized how I needed Him...that Superman stuff, it's not about me, it's about God. It's really amazing, I've never known Him like this before."I'll forever cherish those words, what a testimony he has. We delighted in his account of a real salvation experience. Superman has a personal relationship with God. That day, David was no longer simply our precious longtime friend, but now, also our sweet brother in Christ.
Thank you, Lord.
In the weeks that followed, others came to know Jesus personally and shared their experience with David who was humbled by their stories, old friends were reunited in David's name, new friends were made, we gave more platelets, we watched an awesome family hurt but hunker down all the while and we continued to pray and believe for the miracle of healing - - not really realizing the miracle we already had in our midsts.
Nevertheless, the thing that stands out most for me is that our precious David is in the arms of Jesus today. He's not hurting or suffering but totally renewed and whole. I can't imagine the pep rally that is going on in heaven. Really. David was especially excited to see his grandfather again (and I hope my beloved Baba (grandmother) is also welcoming him into the fold and giving him the grand tour even now).
Thanks to David, I have learned that giving platelets is the least I can do. Thanks to David, I have a whole new outlook on life, it's just not about me and my own abilities. I must seek Him in all things. Thanks to David, I have renewed a sweet friendship with the most amazing Mom on the planet, Sheila Boyd. Thanks to David I have learned to cherish each day like it's my last.
It has been an honor my friend. Your 37 years made an indelible mark on our hearts and if it's ok, we all want to be just like you in every way possible. Thank you for letting us love you. No goodbyes my friend, see you in heaven. <3
“You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven."
Matthew 5:14-16
Matthew 5:14-16





11 comments:
thinking of you today sweet Mary. you are a great friend. a true friend. a warrior alongside of whatever battle your friends are facing. i'm glad you are in my corner. i love you.
God. Have. Mercy. By His stripes, we all were healed. <3 Thanks Mare. I love you so.
Just when I thought I couldn't cry more...this certainly choked me up. This was a beautiful tribute to David. I hope he understood the many lives he touched. The Boyd family should be PROUD of the man they created. I hope to be a fraction of the man David was.
Thanks Mary for such inspiring words...tears are pouring down my face as I type this. The Boyd family lost a member but I feel like we have all gained so much from this. To all of my fellow RCHS family, it has been an honor to get back in touch with all of you. We are all different but bound together in a special way. I love you all in a unique way...never doubt that. To the Boyd family, words cannot express my sadness and grief. I have many great memories of spending time with David and Philip growing up and will cherish it and hold it close to my heart always!!
Love,
JP
Thanks Mary for such inspiring words...tears are pouring down my face as I type this. The Boyd family lost a member but I feel like we have all gained so much from this. To all of my fellow RCHS family, it has been an honor to get back in touch with all of you. We are all different but bound together in a special way. I love you all in a unique way...never doubt that. To the Boyd family, words cannot express my sadness and grief. I have many great memories of spending time with David and Philip growing up and will cherish it and hold it close to my heart always!!
Love,
JP
beautifully said, mary. beautiful.
Mary, what a tribute to David! Your words have touched me more than you will know. I am crying as I am typing this because although I never knew David myself, his life, journey and testimony of faith has touched me and has given me a different outlook on life! Thank you for your words! Praying for you all and especially for the Boyd family!! May God bring them peace and comfort and may we always live relying on Christ in all that we do! Love you my friend!
Hey, Mare. Boy, I love you so! I thank you and Beka for calling me in on this prayer adventure...we've all changed...all for the better! I too blogged today...on that beautiful page you and Beka helped me do...I hope you like it...after I wrote it out and cried a lot...all the pain in my body that I've been carrying with this grief lifted...I thank you, two, for the honor of letting me in on the adventure...Jesus is the reason for all seasons! David's relationship with Jesus is the greatest miracle..and now in he's in His arms...healed forever!!! <3
To the Balicki family, this is one of the most amazing things I have ever seen. Not only am I proud that this is for a great person, it brought tears to my eyes. Very hard to finish reading. To the Boyd family all my love to you. And to David, know that the years I spent with you on the wrestling mat was an honor. But the time we spent as friends will be cherished.
What an incredible tribute, Mary. To the only One who has both the ability and power to save. To the one who recognized his great need to be saved. Thank you for pouring out your heart here. May the Boyd family be comforted. May God be praised. Love you!
Loved this Mary...thanks for sharing. It makes me sad that I hadn't seen David since highschool, but it was so nice to reconnect with him this last year on facebook. I rejoice that I will see him again one day. :)
Post a Comment