It didn't occur to me before I went but when I got there it hit me - hard. David's regular clinic visits for blood and platelets were just across the elevator bank from Atlanta Blood Svcs. I walked out of the elevator onto the 10th floor of the Tower Bldg. at Northside and a hollowness came over me. This was the same path that David and Sheila, David and Lisa, David and Philip, David and Keith (depending on the day) had walked so many times. I looked to my right at the clinic doors and my heart ached. The last time I saw David he was just inside those doors. I turned and went left toward the Atlanta Blood Services suite and thought I should stop at the restroom before my 2 hour appt.
I made my way into the ladies room and there stood a woman who was wearing a blue mask over her mouth and nose, her baldness was veiled by a scarf pulled tightly around her crown and her frame was tiny. She never looked at me but it was clear that she wasn't giving platelets that day. She was there to receive them. A gift she can't buy. I immediately thought, I'm here for her.
I met a fellow Team Boyd member and we donated together. Our eyes filled with tears throughout most of our appointment. Prayers were sent for David and his family and also for our harvesting platelets that would hopefully give light and life to those that received them.
David is my 3rd friend to have blood cancer and desperately need platelets. I'm ashamed to admit that his request was the first one that I honored. In my visits to ABS, they have praised David and his efforts to boost donations. They were very honest about how no one had ever rallied so many donors as David had. I believe it.
I called Atlanta Blood Services the day after he passed away. My voice was shaky as I told them I wanted to make my next appointment, in honor of David Boyd. The director of donor recruitment answered my call and he expressed his condolences and said how grateful he was to still have members of Team Boyd as allies (and several donors had to understandably cancel their appointments because of their sorrow).
They still need us, they need you and me.
Please make your appointment today, do it for the guy who would ask you himself if he still could and do it for that lady who can't live without them.
Atlanta Blood Services
http://atlantabloodservices.com/gen_eligibility.htm
404.459.8744
Platelets
Platelets are fragments of a much larger cell, the megakaryocyte, that stays in the bone marrow after it differentiates and matures from the stem cell.
Platelets are fragments of a much larger cell, the megakaryocyte, that stays in the bone marrow after it differentiates and matures from the stem cell.
![]() | ![]() |
The platelets leave the bone marrow and circulate throughout the body. When stimulated by substances from damaged tissue, the platelets release substances necessary to help blood clot. This helps initiate the clotting sequence and protect the integrity of the vasculature.




4 comments:
Thank you for doing this.
From our personal experience- from all the bags of platelets and red blood that Stuart so desperately needed during his treatment- thank you .
It is something you don't think about until it comes near to you.
Blood brings life.
That thought really came to life for me when I would see Stuart do depleted- lifeless- and then he would receive a bag of blood product that someone had donated and it would bring his body life- literally.
There are so many people with cancer that need the lifeline your body can easily provide.
Thank you.
Stuart still gets a monthly bag of white blood- the treatment is called ivig.
His chemo treatment left him with no immune system, so he gets donor immune system each month to fight infection and sickness for him.
It takes thousands of donors to create one bag of this stuff.
You don't realize how many people depend on your donations.
Thank you!
Praise god for David's life and your willingness to give.
Blessings to you.
Candace
This is why we all love you so!
Well, sweet niece, I'm speechless. This is an excellent write...for you girlie are a great writer...but it is a masterpiece of heart...of love...Cassie and I talked about doing this before David died..then, she was sure that the blood pressure medicine might mean she couldn't give...so we never got that far...I love that you went in honor of David's fight...makes me remember that I need to make a visit to Snellville in Mama's honor...love you girl...take these words as hugs and kisses...xoxoxoxo...I'm proud of you, Mar....I mean I really am!!! <3
Mary, I loved hearing your heart cry to help others. Donating your platelets, your blood, and other blood products is a way of loving David Boyd and in his memory to go on giving for people you will never know is very caring and loving. I think you are wonderful, very gracious and kind and I commend you for it. I love you and admire you very much, dear daughter of mine. Mom
Post a Comment