Monday, June 15, 2009

TMI

yesterday, i lived a nightmare and at the risk of losing all self esteem, i share.

so. . . i'm commited to the (pesky) 21-day run challenge. it's definitely fulfilling and all, but i have to admit that somedays i just want to skip, take a day off, let my body rest, but i'm committed - so, nevertheless i press on.

i set my alarm for 6am and usually get out the door by half past the hour. i go early to get it in and get back before it gets too hot or before work begins (on the weekdays sidney arrives) at 7:20.

each day i have questions, things that i wonder about real runners - -how they do this or that.

  • do they take an extra piece of gum to chew when the 1st one loses it's flavor?
  • do they ever have to stop to re-tie their shoes?
  • do their noses ever run (my right nostril drips when i run)?
  • and my latest question - does the force of gravity coupled with the bouncing have way too much power over their bodily functions? i begin running and within the 1st mile all kinds of things are happening that weren't happening when i was getting dressed. uh oh.

last week i had this experience, and i just ran back home to potty but yesterday morning i was jogging along and noticed that i needed to go and fast. i was over a mile from home and much closer to my friend melissa's house than my own. i tweezed my legs together and zipped over to her house, about a 1/4 of a mile out of my way (reasoning to myself that it wasn't too terribly rude of me, it's almost 8am because of a little later start, maybe they are awake). as i bounded the front lawn and walkway i remembered her FB status from friday -

SHE'S IN SC FOR THE WEEKEND - Class Reunion - OH NO!!

Ok, maybe Ben stayed home - maybe he had to work -
I'll give it a whirl.


without hesitation, i stood on their front porch and rang the doorbell hoping that a potty was in my near future (quickly getting over the fact that initial apologies and conversation may be humiliating and awkward) - the house was dark and no sign of life whatsoever. sigh.

i knocked and i rang again, no avail. i looked next to the house and began eyeing the woods across the street. it would be like camping, no - i can't do that, what if someone sees me. i was desperate and seriously considered this option while finding a moment of relief when i sat down on their front porch chair. what now?

as a novice runner, i always carried my cell phone but in my current intermediate status i've started leaving it behind (assuming that real runners aren't cell phone carriers). greer? can you help me on this one? i would have seriously, without hestiation, called chad to come and get me.

with no other option, i stood up, removed my i-pod, focused, re-tweezed and walked over a mile back home. it was the longest 10 minutes of my life and also the most humilitating. i tried to walk normally when i heard cars approaching, talk about putting on your big girl pants - a diaper would have been better actually. my house has never looked more appealing. . . relief at last.

maybe it's not exactly "runner-esque" to take your cell phone along but it's "mary-esque" and i'll have that sucker with me from now on, believe it!


learning the hard way.


-mb

9 comments:

Samantha said...

haaaa!!! mary, you are hilarious!!! thank you for sharing this gem!!!! :)

sam

Greer Dierkes said...

Girlfriend...you are SO not alone in this one! Are you drinking coffee or eating anything before hand? If so, I would see if you can just take off on just water.

Here's another suggestion...maybe TMI on my part, but since we're all sharing :)...maybe get up a little earlier (yikes) and have a cup of coffee to "get things moving" and then do your business at home and then run afterwards? That usually works for me and Kevin. I can't tell you how many times I've had to wait for Kev to "see a man about a horse," as he likes to say, before we could take off...
Good luck and good thing cell phones are so light! I'm proud of you! Keep it up!

Love you!

P.S. Please don't be "that girl" running and chatting on her cell :) I have had to do that before when I took mine with me and I was waiting on an important call and I felt ridiculous...somehow other people don't always feel that way, but it sure does look pretty funny.

Anonymous said...

you just turned a hum drum run into an adventure. love it!
dana m

Lisa said...

Love this entry. The whole "force of gravity and bouncing" is what keeps me firmly planted behind the double stroller, WALKING...but I will admit, the other day, I jogged a bit, it felt good, will try it again attempting to jog a bit longer...until the bouncing is just too much.

Love you!

Heather said...

OMG! and here i was thinking that it was just Tee Tee!!!

Oh no!!!!

Wow ... being a novice runner myself, I have no advice - but you sure did make me laugh out loud friend.

come over.

HH

Anonymous said...

I wish you had your cell phone! i could have given you our garage door code! Let me know next time and i will give it to u in emergencies! Sorry we weren't home! XOXO

Love, melissa

Mary Hudgins Balicki said...

You guys are great - thanks for laughing with me. It was an adventure that I won't soon forget! :) And Heather, I'm happy to take Greer's advanced advice, although you're on track, my dear - I had to pee. ;)

Tracey said...

Thanks for the chuckle this morning!!! Love you dearly~

Cupcakes and Hairbows said...

I can only help you with the gum -- and this may be TMI too. I put a spare piece in my sports bra (in the wrapper) - that way when the original piece gets old, I have a wrapper to put it in! Back in the bra goes the chewed up, wrapped up piece of gum until I get home or pass a trash can!

When I run in the AM, I usually only take a few sips of water (but I always take the gum!)! Not much of a problem (and I'm much older than you are!!!).