Thursday, November 20, 2008

One glorious light bulb.

Have I mentioned that I've been in the potty-training weeds? Well, it's true.

You would have thought that I'd never done this before, the potty-training thing. Audrey was a late bloomer in this department, too. I decided that this was my lot in life - pull ups, diapers or even worse stinky diapers. I'm frugal at heart and this expense seems wasteful. I hate buying those costly suckers, especially when Sloane is nearing the 3 year mark - yes, 3. . . Sigh. I literally throw that 17.00 dollar block of diapers in my shopping cart and dream of a day when I won't have to factor this lump sum into my grocery/household supply budget.

I have honestly tried everything - she would have some good luck and let me know here and there that it was "time". However, more often than not she would hit complete and total meltdown point when I would say, "let's go sit on the potty". She wasn't having it and in response to her horrible behavior, I was firm, I was sweet, I was logical and tried pep-talking, punishing - - NOTHING was working.

Nanny even heard my S.O.S. and came over one afternoon to retrieve her granddaughter and go for a special potty hunt. They scored this beaut at Target, the Cadillac of potties. . . it's too cute!

Her throne is not only adorable it actually plays a happy tune when a successful experience is achieved. . . she also bought a potty book that talks through not being afraid to brave the big potty. (THANK YOU, Nanny!!)

Having the special new potty helped but for some reason we hadn't achieved the light bulb.
I. . .(she) needed the freaking light bulb. . . ya know?

So, thank you Lord, Chad was off this past weekend and at home during the day as my sidekick. We make a great team and I love that man so much and even more when he comes to my aid with the children . . . When I would say, "OK, Sloane - let's go sit on the potty" and she'd respond by melting into the floor, her Dad picked her up and put her to bed. She was beside herself, not wanting to be put in time-out and he'd go back in there to check-in periodically. He'd ask her, "are you going to sit on the potty now" and she'd say no and he'd say, "alright - stay in there". This worked wonders - I watched a standoff between Chad and Sloane and guess who won. Her Sweet Daddy. Finally, she sat on the potty and had good success that day and she was all smiles.
A few days of that and now we're wearing big girl panties and sitting on the potty, regularly.
She comes to tell me when she's ready. NO KIDDING!! I'm inexplicably proud of my girl, regardless of it being overdue. It's a dream come true, just the light bulb I needed, thank you, Lord!!!!!!!!!! :)

Side note: Chad prefers that Sloane sit on our potty - saying that cleaning out the princess potty is worse than dealing with a cat's litter box, "this is like cleaning up sh*t off the floor" he said. LOL. Last night, as he cleaned out her little potty - grumbling and complaining and gagging, I was laughing so hard I was crying. Imagine me doubled over on my bed, trying not be obnoxious as he filled in for me as the cleaning lady. Our men have no idea what we deal with all day, do they? I got some sort of strange joy and satisfaction out of watching him do it for a change. . . I know, Honey Boy, that was very cruel of me. . . please love me anyway.
Happy pottying here, PTL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! =D

9 comments:

Danielle said...

Praise the Lord and Hallelujah! I know you are super, super excited. That a girl Sloaney!

Rebekah said...

AWESOME!! Just think, if Sloane is anything like Audg, that lightbulb will just get brighter and brighter! Our kids are "with it" as they say.

And, by the way, our husbands have "NO IDEA!"

At least we and the rest of the posse "get it." What would we do if we didn't have that?

Love and High Fives for Sloaney and pottying little body!
Bek

Anonymous said...

I wish you the best...By the way, my oldest was over 3 when we achieved potty trained mode too. I thought we would be in pullups 4ver!! But when we made it his problem to clean up, and not ours, he suddenly became potty trained! Wish I had done that a year earlier..Amy Hagan

Amy J said...

We'll be right behind you...well we have about 6 months, but I'm not looking forward to it. Except Olivia HATES to have her diaper changed most of the time. So now she can just hate sitting on the potty.

Lisa said...

Go Mary, Go Mary, Go Mary
Go Chad, Go Chad, Go Chad

xo, L.

Heather said...

Awesome! I remember the day well when I no longer had to hit the diaper aisle!! Although it is the end of babyhood .. it is the beginning of great things as well. Independence and freedom from those things!!!

Yay for you and Chad! You two are a great team.

HH

Jill Hill said...

how i have been there!!!! thank goodness that mountain has been climbed!!

great job, mary and chad!!! y'all are pros!!!

as great as you feel with her being trained..give it some time and you will miss those diaper days. :( i know, i know..you can't even go there right now, can you?!

love you much!

Melinda Williams Moore said...

Mary, you always make it sound like magic, easy peasy, snap your fingers and it happens. I know that it isn't, but you're such a natural at everything! Congrats!
Melin

Anonymous said...

do kitty litter crystals help in a potty???