. . . I was crying after I picked Audrey up from preschool. It started out as a completely normal carpool experience and then out of the blue it became, well. . . blue.
Audrey has this really cool teacher at her school (not her actual teacher) named Ms. Ginger. She has a spring in her step and you can tell she enjoys the kids and really likes her job. She wears a neat, cropped apron that says Ms. Ginger on the front and she's just uncommonly equipped to teach little ones.
Every day, when I pick Audrey up from school she always opens the door to let Audrey in the car and says with a regal tone, "Princess Audrey, your carriage awaits". Audrey always smiles from ear to ear and climbs in and Ms. Ginger wishes her a good day and closes the door.
Well, today I'm completely oblivious as tomorrow is the last day of school and a "graduation" of sorts from preschool. The kids won't go through carpool for pick-up because all the parents will be there for the program. Back to me being oblivious, I pull up and Ms. Ginger opens the door and says, "Today is a momentous day, the last day of carpool pick-up for Ms. Audrey" I felt the tears stinging in my eyes and then Ms. Ginger looked at Audrey and sweetly and sincerely said, "May your carriage always take you where you want to go" - she closed the door with a big smile. I was suddenly drowning in tears - my little Audrey Claire, such a big girl.
I drove through the parking lot as Audrey said, "Mom, are you crying?" Through my tears, "Yes, honey". "Why, Mom?"
She couldn't understand, she wants to grow up, to be a big kid - NOW. But, all I could think was that the time at home, the early years have flown by and I only hope I savored them, enjoyed them to the fullest. Did I? Ugh, I need a tissue, again. . .
Here we go....again.....
-
I sat in the yellow lighted room. Again, I waited.
She took her test, and I sat with anxious thoughts.
*What if she fails? *
*What if she is not ready?*
...
6 years ago

4 comments:
ok i am crying now!!! hugs from kristin and millie
Sweetness!! You have given Audrey a wonderful early childhood and you have SO MANY memories to make with her. She will ALWAYS be your little girl. Love you so - xoxo
I am crying too, such a big girl. I can't believe it. It is hard to believe she is 5. But, she is so big and grown up, it has to be true.
I remember the 1st time she said I love you (I waited for what seemed like an eternity), her first steps, all of the genuinely genius things she said while still very small. Another rite of passage today, sniff, sniff.
You are doing fantastic, obviously. Just look at your girls-keep on loving them to pieces.
Love,
Bek
oh, boy...can i relate...completely!! it is so hard seeing them grow up..and much too quickly. i have had the same lump in my throat and knot in my stomach since joseph's first day of kindergarten.
hang in there, kitty! we're all in this together!!
much love and many tears...
J
Post a Comment