Honestly, I wanted this week of break to be different. We weren't planning to leave town and I was not looking forward to a week of indoor playtime. (we had enough of that over Christmas break. . .help us!)
Why not take advantage of some local attractions??? (hey!!!) field trip: a group excursion (to a museum or the woods or some historic place) for firsthand examination.
I remember being a kid and absolutely loving the sight of the gold dome each time we visited downtown Atlanta. Not surprisingly, my girls are no different. The capitol building is their absolute favorite thing to spot in the skyline. So, on Wednesday I thought we would visit there for the first time.
My friend, Dana was happy to accompany us on this special field trip and off we went. Unfortunately, once we arrived, I wasn't able to find any parking as the decks were all full. (shoot!) So, Dana jumped out with the girls to meet the tour guide for our 11:00AM tour. (love her!)
By the time I made it inside an exciting adventure had already transpired. My kids were asked to be photographed with Governor Perdue. Cherokee County schools were receiving special recognition and they were a few children short for the prized group photo. The lady to the far right asked Dana if she could borrow Audrey and Sloane and it looks like they made pretty good stand-ins.
And now for our tour:
Underneath the dome
Lady Liberty - replica of the one that stands above the gold dome.
We also got to peak in on the House, they were debating health care.
Audrey and Sloane were in awe of that large ornate room (no photos allowed).
Rotunda floor - as we were leaving
Liberty Bell replica - Audrey, Sloane & Dana








4 comments:
I didn't know you could just walk in there and look around. too cool!
Mary! The Capitol is even more gorgeous than I remember! I love, love, love your incredible photos! :) It was a perfect day, Sonny and ALL!!
Very cool! And I need a Dana in my life..What a great Friend!!
Hey I was there on Wednesday! Rats - wish I had known, and I would tracked you guys down. I love the Capitol, it's so gorgeous. Great pics and great idea!!
Post a Comment