A simple physical - started off perfectly fine. I had my first EKG, reflexes on both knees, blood pressure, lungs, pulse, ears, nose all looked good. He asked me questions about my work (Mommying and Nannying) and then if I had any questions for him.
My only problem - regular headaches (and a question about checking my thyroid due to moderate weight gain). I was hopeful that I could be prescribed a preventative med for my aching head. (Not too much to ask?) "Get dressed, so we can do your blood work." Ok, I thought, almost done.
I cruised over to the lab room, gave a vile of blood and met him in the hallway afterward. He said, I want to ask you a few questions. . .ok, awkward, wonder why we didn't do this in the exam room - I felt like the proverbial deer caught in headlights. I don't know if I even heard what he asked because I was thrown off by his unexpected inquisition.
His response to my off-guard answers (mostly blank expressions and looking off to the side at all of the people buzzing about right around us). . . I think you're depressed. Uh - what? "I really don't think so". He responded, "let me be the judge of that". He wrote me a prescription for wellbutrin and said it would help with energy and headaches. (I should add that I think there is nothing wrong with taking meds if you need them and also, I have known him for about 12 years and I think the world of him - but this is where the Seriously? kicked in for me.)
I have spent the better part of the last day in the dumps thinking, is he right? I completely disagree with him, but his statement gave me a complex. Sarah said it best when she was relating to my situation.
"It's like when someone says, cheer up and you didn't think you weren't cheery
and then you feel worse than you did before they said it".
Exactly.
Rebekah and Mom both told me I need to take more vitamins and be proactive as I keep up with the rigors of this thing we all do every day. I'm not a big vitamin person and hate taking them but I guess it's better than taking an anti-depressant when you are not at all depressed.
I'm happy, People - and after a good cry this morning, I thought I'd share with you my frustrations with my sweet little doctor. I hope I didn't go beyond the realm of blog-able topics, it can't all be about smiles and blooms, right?
Thankfully, God loves me depressed or not, happy or not and crying or not!! What a relief. I definitely don't have all the answers but I do know this, when you choose to walk on the sunny side of the street more often than not - you aren't depressed in my book.
Mom gave me 5 different supplements when I stopped in to see her this morning. Oh and it also helped answer my question that the Rx was 118.00 dollars for a 1 month supply, no thanks.
I'll use the multi's, b's and calcium's that Mummy gave and move on - thank you very much (straightens up and puts hands in hoodie pockets and walks out the door) - I'm just fine!!!
Choosing to be happy today (in spite of the mis-diagnosis),
MB

8 comments:
Humph, it's that darn sea weed again.
Sniff, sniff...
You are an inspiration to SO many, namely me. You were a mother way before I was. I wanted to be a mother even more because of you. I took/take my cues from you and wonder, "how would Mary handle this?" Answers self, "She would just jump right in and handle it!"
You juggle many responsibilities with a pragmatic approach, grace and humility. You are 110% sold out to your family and have taken on a second job to help out. Stress, yes. Depression, perhaps not. It's good to hear Doc's impression because it can be something in the back of your mind to be cautious of and consider. (It happens to the best of us, after all.)
You are doing just fine! The Doc should have gleaned his diagnostic impression in private, for sure. (Silly willy.) I have my cave man bat for him. But, as for you, take your vitamins and get in some more cardio- on the double!!
I love you to pieces Mary Lou!
Bek
So I'm guessing you didn't get the headache preventative..... I would never say that you were depressed. I don't see how he would think you are depressed.... I'm just puzzled as to how he came to that conclusion.
I think your mom and Rebekah are right about the vitamins and exercise. I think If the headaches don't get better I would go to Carrie's doctor! :)
Don't worry be happy!!!
Tracey
Depressed??? Does he know what all you are doing? Do I need to call him? Crazy man...
I too think Dr. S got it wrong this time. Doctors aren't perfect after all. :)
Take those vitamins and keep smiling! I love your Mom, she is the best!! I will never forget when I stopped by her house and she nurtured me with a handful of vitamins and a full glass of milk. PRECIOUS!!!
gulping my vitamins,
Jill
Sheesh, I'd be diagnosed with paranoid personality disorder if a doctor tried to corner me in an open hallway to find out about my emotions. Because I'd be all whispering and furtive and trying to back away.
It sounds like you know your body best, and that you are doing what you need to do to take of it well.
Much love!
wow. i am shocked Mare.
although no one knows truly what is going on in our hearts .... and minds ... i would definitely say from an outsiders perspective that you are NOT depressed. busy? yes. overwhelmed with life at time? yes. overcommitted? perhaps. irritable at times? what woman isn't? but depressed ... i wouldn't say so.
you inspire me to live a more positive life on a daily basis. and, i just don't think that a depressed person would have that affect on me.
proud of you.
xo
HH
Girl, really? We need to talk. I'll be you just about anything that I can help you out here. E-mail me! :D
I was just telling my Mom yesterday that you are my "go to" person. I can share whatever is going on in my life. I feel safe telling you anything. I don't think I would do that if I thought you were depressed. I wouldn't want to add my problems to your plate.
No offense, but he's wrong. :)
Hugs!
Amy
Post a Comment