Last night, we were headed out the door for dinner, margaritas and Mexican without kids. Sloane was on her way to swim with Stephanie and company (thanks again, Steph) and surprisingly, we hear a knock at the door. You know that feeling - when you have no idea who could be at your house unannounced and that sigh of relief when you realize it's a relative, or even better, PAPA!!!! Audrey was at dance with Josie, but Sloane was here and over the moon to see her #1 guy, sheer elation. He only got her to calm down by offering to read to her and then he could get his Sloaney fix. She was putty in his hands. ;)
Seriously, Papa should receive the grandfather of the year award, he doesn't miss ANYTHING. He is always there, for art shows, recitals, ballgames, school programs, you name it, he'll be there. Growing up, we didn't have that, he worked so much, day and night (2 jobs) that we rarely saw him and if we did he was heading to bed for just a nap until the next shift of work. I can't imagine the financial stress of seven mouths to feed, really nine. . .I'm overwhelmed just thinking about it!
Nevertheless, one by one, he's making it up to all of us in the lives of our children (as if he needs to). He spent last Saturday with Beka, David and her boys at a train exhibit. He does his best to be at all of Hannah and Caleb's ball games (only failing when they are on the same day and time). He has even met Andrew and Denese at the dentist to sit with James while they get their teeth cleaned, that's dedication! - - The kind he's always had in every area of his life, but now it's directed at all of us in the way of our children and I'm pretty sure, we are all loving every minute!
Seeing Dad with Audrey and Sloane shows me how much he loves me, always has and how much more quality time he would have spent with us if he'd only had a few extra hours in the day.
Thank you, Daddy for loving me and for sacrificing the way you did!! You truly hung the moon, I know you did!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I Love You!!!
-Meer
Note: Audrey busted into tears when she saw this post - she hated to have missed q.t. with Papa and who could blame her.

3 comments:
This post made me a little misty. Dad's are great - especially ones like we have. Hugs!
Mary you are so very blessed!!!! I have to agree with Melinda on this....I got a little misty myself!!
You are all very lucky!
That is the kind of grandparent Darren and I are going to be when the time comes. I love you!!
that was so sweet!! what a spectacular Papa you have!! give him a big ole hug from me!! xoxo
Post a Comment